Three months off! First week bliss!
Well here I am, it's Monday morning and I'm not at work. My lovely wife, Ruth has given me breakfast in bed again, porridge with fruit, toast and a mug of hot water. Life is bliss!
So what's this all about? Somehow I've got three months off and I'm one week in after 42 years of working without a break (apart from the usual holidays). About a year ago Ruth was diagnosed with breast cancer, our son, John, was suffering with trigeminal neuralgia and my church was in vacancy (from 2nd April 2017). I was working full time as the Stewardship Adviser for the Diocese of Winchester and at the same time trying to hold the ropes at my church as their Assistant Minister. I'd just helped to make a short movie to help people catch a glimpse of what Christ Church, Chineham is like http://www.christchurchchineham.org.uk/content/watch-our-video
At that time, a year ago, I said to Ruth, "when this is all over we'll go away for a bit". I did think... will this really happen!? Have a I got the guts to see this through?
So a year on... Ruth has been given the all clear (although this wretched cancer still messes with her head). Our son John had brain surgery last October and is cured. He also married Catherine just over a month ago and I was privileged to preside at their wedding! Christ Church remains in vacancy but we've now appointed and a new Lead Minister will hopefully arrive in the next few months.
In many way I've loved taking on more stuff at Christ Church over the last 13 months. The people there are wonderful and have been hugely supportive, we will miss them over these next three months... but with a full time job and everything else that was happening I knew I needed a break. My boss at the Diocese was so understanding and although I've got to meet most of the cost financially I'm hugely gratefully my employers have allowed me to take this time off.
Just over a week ago on 12th May I led the two morning services at Christ Church then took a home Communion to the most elderly person in our church family before having some lunch and heading off into the sunset! Amazingly we managed to pack everything into Ruth's tiny Nissan Micra and put the roof down! En route we stayed overnight with two wonderful friends, Mick and Jill, at Torquay. On the 13th May we continued our journey popping in to see to more treasured pals, Karl and Deb, who run Flavel Church in Dartmouth. It's worth a visit, I'd describe it as a mini HTB.
https://www.facebook.com/flavelchurch/
By the evening we reached our destination. A tiny but comfortable one bedroom barn just outside Marazion near Penzance. Check out the view...
It's weird, usually when I go on holiday it takes me one or two days to unwind. It's as if I can't totally relax. Strangely this time I seemed to chill-out immediately as we drove off. We've been here now for a week and it seems to feel so right. I don't have any sense of guilt at abandoning Christ Church or leaving my diocesan role. I'm just loving spending time with the my soul mate for the last 37 years. I just sense these next three months could be the best ever!
So what's been so brilliant? In a word 'time'. Taking time to get up in the morning. Rather than rush through breakfast hurriedly reading my bible reflection, thinking about all the things I've got to do that day and whether I was going to be late for work - now I get up at my own pace, enjoy breakfast and take my time looking at God's Word and reading other stuff alongside it. For example today I was inspired to look up some stuff about an amazing women called Ruby Bridges. What a story check her out at... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Bridges
What else is different? Driving! At home just getting out of Basingstoke is such a chore. My day job often sends me down the M3 or M27 sometimes retuning home late into the evening feeling totally knackered. This week (helped by the glorious weather) we've been driving short distances in an open top car often with wonderful views of the coast. I'd forgotten how relaxing driving can be.
Walking is always good but down here in west Cornwall it is a total joy! Mousehole to Lamorna and back, wonderful views and challenging clambering over rocks.
Trekking over to St Michael Mount and then miss-timing the tide on the way back, taking off our boots and wading through the water, great fun! Godrevy to Hayle and back... total bliss. Perranuthnoe to Marazion and back plus the best ever Cornish pasty. And loads, loads more. We're walking approaching 25,000 steps every day. Yes - we feel tired at the end of each day but in a way that is so relaxing.
Church is also always good and I was worried about missing wonderful Christ Church. Yesterday we walked across country in glorious sunshine to the local church only to find they changed the time of the service! Normally I'd have felt quite angry but we just wandered back to our little home, looked up some alternatives on the internet and ended up in Penzance Baptist Church. It was very different to Christ Church but nevertheless it was an excellent experience. The sermon was superb. But here's the good bit! We just turned up, worshipped God, chatted with a few lovely people and then left. No responsibilities... bliss.
Food... I love my grub. I'm married to the best cook on earth! It's been so brilliant eating simple, lovingly prepared meals and just being with the Misses, watching the box and doing what we want when we want to.
I thank God that in His grace this is happening. I'm so looking forward to continuing to enjoying spending time with my Ruth and seeing what God has in store for us.
Finally here is the really strange bit! I've just realised I haven't been or felt grumpy for over a week! Maybe its simply about being a human 'being' as opposed to a human 'doing'! Bliss!!!
So what's this all about? Somehow I've got three months off and I'm one week in after 42 years of working without a break (apart from the usual holidays). About a year ago Ruth was diagnosed with breast cancer, our son, John, was suffering with trigeminal neuralgia and my church was in vacancy (from 2nd April 2017). I was working full time as the Stewardship Adviser for the Diocese of Winchester and at the same time trying to hold the ropes at my church as their Assistant Minister. I'd just helped to make a short movie to help people catch a glimpse of what Christ Church, Chineham is like http://www.christchurchchineham.org.uk/content/watch-our-video
At that time, a year ago, I said to Ruth, "when this is all over we'll go away for a bit". I did think... will this really happen!? Have a I got the guts to see this through?
So a year on... Ruth has been given the all clear (although this wretched cancer still messes with her head). Our son John had brain surgery last October and is cured. He also married Catherine just over a month ago and I was privileged to preside at their wedding! Christ Church remains in vacancy but we've now appointed and a new Lead Minister will hopefully arrive in the next few months.
In many way I've loved taking on more stuff at Christ Church over the last 13 months. The people there are wonderful and have been hugely supportive, we will miss them over these next three months... but with a full time job and everything else that was happening I knew I needed a break. My boss at the Diocese was so understanding and although I've got to meet most of the cost financially I'm hugely gratefully my employers have allowed me to take this time off.
Just over a week ago on 12th May I led the two morning services at Christ Church then took a home Communion to the most elderly person in our church family before having some lunch and heading off into the sunset! Amazingly we managed to pack everything into Ruth's tiny Nissan Micra and put the roof down! En route we stayed overnight with two wonderful friends, Mick and Jill, at Torquay. On the 13th May we continued our journey popping in to see to more treasured pals, Karl and Deb, who run Flavel Church in Dartmouth. It's worth a visit, I'd describe it as a mini HTB.
https://www.facebook.com/flavelchurch/
By the evening we reached our destination. A tiny but comfortable one bedroom barn just outside Marazion near Penzance. Check out the view...
It's weird, usually when I go on holiday it takes me one or two days to unwind. It's as if I can't totally relax. Strangely this time I seemed to chill-out immediately as we drove off. We've been here now for a week and it seems to feel so right. I don't have any sense of guilt at abandoning Christ Church or leaving my diocesan role. I'm just loving spending time with the my soul mate for the last 37 years. I just sense these next three months could be the best ever!
So what's been so brilliant? In a word 'time'. Taking time to get up in the morning. Rather than rush through breakfast hurriedly reading my bible reflection, thinking about all the things I've got to do that day and whether I was going to be late for work - now I get up at my own pace, enjoy breakfast and take my time looking at God's Word and reading other stuff alongside it. For example today I was inspired to look up some stuff about an amazing women called Ruby Bridges. What a story check her out at... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Bridges
What else is different? Driving! At home just getting out of Basingstoke is such a chore. My day job often sends me down the M3 or M27 sometimes retuning home late into the evening feeling totally knackered. This week (helped by the glorious weather) we've been driving short distances in an open top car often with wonderful views of the coast. I'd forgotten how relaxing driving can be.
Church is also always good and I was worried about missing wonderful Christ Church. Yesterday we walked across country in glorious sunshine to the local church only to find they changed the time of the service! Normally I'd have felt quite angry but we just wandered back to our little home, looked up some alternatives on the internet and ended up in Penzance Baptist Church. It was very different to Christ Church but nevertheless it was an excellent experience. The sermon was superb. But here's the good bit! We just turned up, worshipped God, chatted with a few lovely people and then left. No responsibilities... bliss.
Food... I love my grub. I'm married to the best cook on earth! It's been so brilliant eating simple, lovingly prepared meals and just being with the Misses, watching the box and doing what we want when we want to.
I thank God that in His grace this is happening. I'm so looking forward to continuing to enjoying spending time with my Ruth and seeing what God has in store for us.
Finally here is the really strange bit! I've just realised I haven't been or felt grumpy for over a week! Maybe its simply about being a human 'being' as opposed to a human 'doing'! Bliss!!!
Time is so precious - and so glad you've now got plenty of it to rest, recharge and just enjoy being together. I pray God continues to bless you richly during these three months - you give so much, now is the time to receive! John.
ReplyDeleteMy husband works really hard extra hours to give us the money to afford our holidays... and when we're away I really appreciate the quality time I get to spend with him... so I know exactly where you're coming from... enjoy your time together, cherish every moment... love to you both Shirley xx
ReplyDeleteWe are Human Beings, not Human Doings. But where does this compulsion to work, work, work come from? A need to keep food in the fridge? A need to be needed? It's a hard balance to get right. I've just come home from a week overseas (Gordon knows that I do occasional lecturing on cruise ships) and it is wonderful to see so many people so relaxed. But it doesn't quite seem 'real'. So put me down as undecided. Meanwhile, Gordon, stay un-grumpy - we prefer you that way! (Although, to be fair I've never seen grumpy)
ReplyDelete